The International School on Digital Transformation
April 30 Extended to May 10
Applications are now open for the second annual International School on Digital Transformation, to be held July 25-30, 2010, at the University of Porto in Porto, Portugal. The School is accepting applications from advanced students and recent graduates from around the world with an interest in digital technology and the enrichment of civil society.
The International School on Digital Transformation is an intensive six-day residential program, conducted in English and bringing together emerging and established scholars and professionals from a variety of countries. During the week, innovators in digital communications will serve as teachers and mentors, presenting current projects and engaging in discussion. Presenters and students will be regarded as peers during the School.
Students of the School will have the opportunity to develop and apply research design skills to projects important to civil society. Consisting of approximately 30 students and 15 faculty members, the School seeks to create an atmosphere of scholarly collegiality, fostering dialogue among diverse perspectives including those of design, policy, and research backgrounds. The daily schedule will include time for presentations, workshop-style collaboration, and informal brainstorming sessions among faculty and students.
The School’s program will focus on these themes:
- Democratic transformations of society through digital media
- Innovations in transparency and political participation using new online tools
- Grassroots civic activities using digital technologies
- Prospects for digital communication in developing regions
- Economically and politically galvanizing historically underserved areas
- Developing “open cities” and municipal participation through technological interventions
The School will be held at the University of Porto Rectory building in the center of the city. Students and faculty will be housed at the Hotel Eurostars Das Artes, a nearby four-star hotel. A link to the hotel site is below.
International School on Digital Transformation fees are:
- 370 Euros with accommodation at the Hotel Eurostars das Artes, breakfast included
- 170 Euros for Porto students with no accommodation required
- 320 Euros for UT-Austin-Portugal PhD Program students with accommodation at the Hotel Eurostars das Artes
The cost of the School includes a nightly dinner at a local restaurant attended by all faculty and students, the daily program, and a cultural activity. Participants are expected to be present at all dinners and activities during the week. Travel to Porto is not supported; students must find and pay for their own travel.
The International School on Digital Transformation is organized by the UT Austin-Portugal program, a cooperative endeavor between the University of Texas at Austin and some of the top universities of Portugal. The co-directors of the School are Drs. Sharon Strover and Karen Gustafson, and Gary Chapman, of the University of Texas at Austin and Dr. Artur Pimenta Alves of the University of Porto.
For more information about the School, its faculty, and to apply, please visit: